Already know the program you’re looking for?


Choosing Your Program

Exchange Programs for International Students

If your home institution has a formal exchange agreement with Cornell University, you may be eligible to take part in a Cornell Exchange.

In order to apply, you must be nominated for the program by the exchange coordinator of your home institution.

Visiting Programs for International Students

You're a visiting student if you want to take classes at Cornell while enrolled at another institution, or if you already hold a bachelor's degree and are looking to prepare for graduate study or your career.

Visiting students enroll as non-degree students in a specific Cornell college or school and receive a Cornell University transcript. Half to two thirds of your coursework must be taken within the college to which you applied. You can enroll as a visiting student for up to one year.

FAQs Read All

Does my school have an exchange with Cornell?

​​​​​​First check with the exchange coordinator at your home institution to find out if Cornell has an exchange agreement with your school. You may not be eligible for an exchange, even if Cornell does have an agreement, if your major is outside the terms of the agreement.

How do I find a professor to host me as an intern at Cornell?

​​​​​​A good first step is to talk to professors at your home institution. Cornell has connections around the world, and you may be surprised to find out that a professor at your school already has a connection to Cornell. If not, read more about the research that is being done at Cornell to see if your interests align with a professor or lab here on campus. Your next step is to reach out to a professor to find out if he or she is interested in hosting an intern.

Provost's International Research Internship Program

The Provost's International Research Internship Program allows students from abroad to conduct research on campus for up to one year. You will receive academic credit for your internship and a Cornell transcript.

This program requires that you receive an invitation to apply from a faculty member at Cornell. Each PIRIP student is sponsored by a faculty member, who must obtain approval in advance from his/her department chair and from the dean of the college.

Students can apply at any time during the year.

You register for PIRIP through Cornell's School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. Completed materials should be submitted at least six weeks prior to the beginning of your internship.

J-1 Student Intern Program

The J-1 Student Intern Program is designed for international students looking for a structured research internship program in a specific academic field.

Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. Your internship must fulfill the educational objectives for your current degree program at your home institution overseas. As a J-1 student intern, you are considered a Cornell employee and will not receive academic credit for your work.

In order to participate in the J-1 Student Intern Program, you must have an invitation from a department at Cornell University. The hosting department needs to appoint you as an intern, paid or unpaid, before you can begin the application process.

J-1 student interns can apply at any time. After submission of the complete J-1 Student Intern Application, please allow at least two weeks to process and prepare all supporting J-1 Visa documents. Overall processing time for you to obtain a J-1 visa and arrive in the United States is a minimum of eight weeks.

Part-Time Study

If you wish to participate in part-time study at Cornell, your enrollment is coordinated through the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions.

Most part-time students at Cornell register for 11 or fewer credits; however, international students may request permission to register for 12 credits or more, to meet visa requirements.

Up Next
back to top