Already know the program you’re looking for?


Preparing To Leave for Cornell

Getting a Visa
A seal of Cornell's mott: "Any person...any study"
F-1 or J-1?

As an international exchange or visiting student at Cornell, you may have questions about visa regulations.

While you are at Cornell, our colleagues in the Office of Global Learning International Services will be your main point of contact for all items related to your visa and maintaining your immigration status.

You will enter the United States on an F-1 visa or J-1 visa, and you should familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of your respective visa category.

Housing and Living
Students talking while sitting outside on the lawn at Cornell, early fall
Where Will I Live?

As a visiting international students at Cornell, you may choose to live on campus or off campus. There are numerous options.

You will need to review the possibilities, do thorough research about the details, and select the option that's right for you.

We have collected some basic information to help you begin your search for housing.

Health and Safety
Student walking along a fence near campus
What Do I Need to Know?

As you prepare to start your study abroad experience at Cornell University, you will need to plan for your health and safety while in the United States.

FAQs Read All

How do I get my visa for the U.S.?

​​​​​​If you are coming to Cornell University to take classes, you will travel on an F-1 or J-1 student visa. After you provide your proof of support, you will receive an I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) in the mail. You should then pay the SEVIS fee and schedule your visa interview. More detailed information can be found on the Global Learning International Services website.

What about health insurance while I'm at Cornell?

Cornell University requires all full-time registered students to have health insurance. Exchange students will be automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Only international students who have insurance provided by their embassy or by a U.S.-based employer insurance plan may be eligible to waive this requirement. Students who are here for one semester will not be required to pay the entire annual amount.

Up Next
back to top